Faculty of Engineering
- Category: Faculty of Engineering
- Published: 05 September 2016
- Hits: 128
PhD. ‘Utility Applications of Smart Online Energy Systems: A case for investing in Online Power Electronics’. The thesis discussed the real time operation and control of power system physical parameters in a real utility using capacitors, reactors, FACTS and HVDC. The key contribution of this thesis is the application and resting of all sorts of FACTS and HVDC in the power system. The system wide area, coordinated control of FACTS (Online Power Electronics-OPE) is a new concept. Another major contribution is being able to look at a system wide approach for a transmission smart grid application. The results of thesis are presented in international conferences in USA, Hong Kong, France, Portugal, and locally in the Arabian Gulf (Dubai, Oman and Qatar).
MSc. in Information/Control Engineering (12 core and specialized modules and thesis) in Nov 1995 from The City University – London. The study was conducted on part-time basis (Oct 93- Oct 95 -one day release per week over two years) while on full-time employment as Electrical/Control Engineer with the well-known British firm of engineering consultancy. The core modules concerned with the common theme of course in Information engineering, while the specialized modules concentrated in the Control Engineering aspects. The overall performance was evaluated as 66%. I was considered by the Board of Examiners for distinction but I just failed to achieve the required 70%. Again the thesis and dissertation work was evaluated very high (75%) which lies in the area of transient analysis using the EPRI’s - Electro-Magnetic Transients Program, EMTP/ATP.
BSc (Hons) in Electrical Engineering conferred in Nov 1988 by the Faculty of Engineering, Khartoum University. My project/thesis in the final year was considered the best one and hence awarded the “the faculty prize for the best project”. It focused on preparing software program using Basic language to evaluate and optimize the power network losses using the Decoupled Techniques.
1.Hatim Elsayed, Shaukat Sadullah, Asad Ali, Hashim Al Zahrani, Nasser Al Shahrani - Analysis on HVDC Converter: Frequency Control and Dynamic Reserve Power Share in GCCIA- GCC POWER (Cigre) 2015 Conference & Exhibition, Jeddah Hilton, 2-5 November 2015
2.Elsayed H, Cham E, Al Jaidah Y, Al Najjar A. (2013) ‘Towards Smart Power Grid in Qatar: Application of STATCOM and Composite Conductors’, The 4th Arab Union of Electricity General Conference, Doha, Qatar, 7-9 January 2013.
3.Elsayed H, Borya M, Al Jaidah Y, Amoussouga E, Al-Marri S, Al Najjar A. (2013) ‘Battery Storage and PVs Energy Conversion System to meet Summer Peak in Qatar: A reasoned choice among potential Smartgrid solutions’, The 4th Arab Union of Electricity General Conference, Doha, Qatar, 7-9 January 2013.
4.H.I. Elsayed, Sami Abu Eida, Salman Chaudhary and Abdul Aziz Al-Mahmoud. - Dynamic Control of Voltage and Power Flow in Qatar Transmission System- GCC POWER (Cigre) 2012 Conference & Exhibition, Oman 12–14 November 2012 (selected as one of the best three papers in the Conference)
5.H.I. Elsayed, B.K. Johnson and L.L. Lai. - Online Systems Potential Applications in Intelligent Power Grids- PES IEEE 2012 General Meeting San Diego, California, USA, 22-26 July 2012
6.H. I. Elsayed, Salman R. Chaudhry, A. A. Al Mahmoud - PV, Battery Storage and Energy Conversion System for meeting peak load in a substation- International Electricity Distribution Community CIRED 2012 workshop, 29-30 May 2012, Lisbon Conference Centre, Lisbon, Portugal.
7.K. El Llithy, S. Al-Suwaidi, H. Elsayed- Measuring Human Exposure to Magnetic Fields near EHV 400 KV GIS Substation and Power Lines in the State of Qatar. 2011 North American Power Symposium, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, August 4-6, 2011.
8.H.I. Elsayed, K. Chan, A.A. Al-Jomali, B.K. Johnson and L.L. Lai. - Operation Enhancement by Power Flow Controller - An Investigation in the Qatar Transmission System- The IEEE 2010 Power and Energy General Meeting- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 25-29 July 2010.
9.H.I. Elsayed, B.K. Johnson, L.L. Lai and N. TSE. Investigation into the advancement of FACTS and their implementation impact in a Utility- The 8th IET International Conference on Advances in Power System Control, Operation and Management- APSCOM2009. Kowloon Shangri La Hotel, Hong Kong, 08-11 November 2009.
10.H.I. Elsayed, P. Sasono, L.L. Lai- Risk Assessment and Mitigations of Electronic/Cyber Intrusions into SCADA, DCS and LAN Systems of a Utility- 3rd GCC Cigre International Conference and Exhibition, paper, no.14, session-4, page 305, Cigre GCC Power 2007 proceedings, 05-07 Nov. 2007 Dubai, UAE.
1. Hatim Elsayed, Static Compensation Controlled via Synchrophasors to Enhance Operation in Future Qatar Smart Power System, National Priorities Research Program (5th Cycle, NPRP No 5-1477-2–630) Qatar Foundation QNRF, 2011
2. Dr Khaled Al Laithy, Hatim Elsayed, Optimal Allocation of FACTS Devices and PMUs in Qatar Power Grid, National Priorities Research Program (5th Cycle, NPRP No. 5-292-2-104) Qatar Foundation QNRF, 2011
3. Dr Khaled Al Laithy, Hatim Elsayed, A Data Analytics Framework for Smart Grid: Graphical Learning, Stochastic Optimization and Adaptive Filtering, National Priorities Research Program (5th Cycle, NPRP No 6-527-2–219) Qatar Foundation QNRF
4. PV, Battery Storage and Energy Conversion System for meeting peak load in a substation-
Qatar General Electricity and Water Corporation (Kahramaa), May 2012
5. Review of ‘Quazi-Z-Source Inverter (qZSI) Related Inventions’ from Texas A&M, Qatar with Qatar Foundation Education, Science Community Development, July-September 2014
Internationals Conferences Attended
1. 1. Siemens ‘PSSE User Technical Conference’ on 29.02 and 01.03.2016 (Al-Khobar –Park INN )
2. GCC POWER (Cigre) 2015 Conference & Exhibition, Jeddah Hilton, 2-5 November 2015
3. 6th World Forum on Energy Regulation (VI-WFER), & GO-15 Workshop and Meeting, “Bridging the World of Energy Regulation”, 25-28 May 2015, Istanbul, Turkey
4. Cigre (International Council on Large Electric Systems), Session 44, Palais des Congrès, Paris, France 26-31 Aug. 2012
5. International Electricity Distribution Community CIRED 2012 workshop, 29-30 May 2012, Lisbon Conference Centre, Lisbon, Portugal.
6. Main Speaker at the Smart Electricity World, MENA 2012, Dubai 4-5 June 2012. The theme of the Congress was “Business and Technology Strategy for Smart Grid and Smart Meter Deployment”. The lecture title is “Investing in Intelligent Online Controls and Analysis to meet High Energy Demands”
7. GCC Power 2010, The 8th Regional Conference for National Committees of Cigre in the Arab Countries & the 15th Exhibition for Electrical Equipment, The Ritz-Carton,18-20 Oct. 2010.
8. Power Generation, Middle East 2010, Conference for National & Exhibition, The Qatar Exhibitions Center, Doha,04-06 Oct. 2010.
9. IEEE 2010 Power and Energy General Meeting- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 25-29 July 2010.
10. The 8th IET International Conference on Advances in Power System Control, Operation and Management, Kowloon Shangri La Hotel, Hong Kong, 08-11 November 2009.
11. Grid Week 2009, The Annual Conference for Smart Grid, Washington, DC September 21-24, 2009. The main theme is “Energizing our economy”.